Why Do We Love Halloween?
Posted on 10/7/2019 12:02:00 PM
by Ken Bartels, Sr. Vice President
...it's not just about the costumes!
As soon as the calendar page turns to October 1st, I begin to think about October 31st – and Halloween. I began to wonder why I did such a thing and came up with several reasons…whether they completely explain it is another matter.
· I love the Fall season. Cooler weather, breezy, football, Fall colors…all of it…always have.
· I like to decorate the house, inside and out. Since Halloween is the #2 biggest holiday after Christmas, it gets the full treatment. (As an aside, my son easily outdoes me on Halloween decorations at his home.)
· Candy…similar to my liking for Easter, Valentine’s Day, Sweetest Day, etc.
· Trick or Treaters. I like to see the costumes and the trends for the year. The little kids are the best, but some of the older ones can be pretty creative. (The traveling parents can be interesting too.)
· Ghost stories and ghost tours. Legend says Elmhurst College has a Mill Theater ghost. There might be a ghost hanging around the Glos Mausoleum. (You may know of others.)
· Chili. In our house, Halloween means chili and tacos. (I have no idea why.)
· Halloween leads the holiday parade. October has Halloween. November has Thanksgiving. December has Christmas. January has New Year. Four holidays in a row. How can you beat that for a month starter!
· It’s just fun! This one is in case you can’t think of anything else.
So…get ready to scare someone. Just put on a mask and say ‘Boo’!
Works at least some of the time.