Be Thankful...Do Thankful
Posted on 11/5/2018 2:56:00 PM
by Ken Bartels, Sr. Vice President
...make a difference
As we enter into November it’s appropriate that we begin to think about ‘Thanksgiving’, the unique celebration it is and all it represents. We hear a lot about ‘be thankful’ as we should. Being thankful is at the heart of the holiday and anything we can to fulfill that thought is worth it.
But, I would like to challenge the ‘be thankful’ just a little bit and change it to ‘do thankful’. What does that mean, you ask? To me it would mean actions beyond words or even sentiments. It would focus on doing rather than ‘just’ being.
It could mean:
· Participating in some way with the ‘Turkey Trot’ fundraising/foodraising event on Thanksgiving morning starting out in downtown Elmhurst. Run, walk, watch…Do.
· It could mean volunteering soon at the Yorkfield Food Pantry or actually dropping off your food donations directly there during November (or any month)…Do.
· It might mean directing someone in need of a great Thanksgiving meal to the free one sponsored by the Rotary Club of Elmhurst at Diplomat West on Thanksgiving Day…Do.
· Making sure that no one you know sits home alone on Thanksgiving. Find out who that might be and invite them to your house…Do.
· At your own Thanksgiving feast, have a family and friends sharing of what they each are thankful for in their lives. In so ‘doing’, you will find out things you might never have known or heard otherwise…Do.
As I have written here in the past, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I hope it can be yours as well.